There seems to be some confusion regarding pepper-jargon , so I referred to the chile terminology database at the Chile Pepper Institute in New Mexico to clear up some commonly misused terms.
- Chile – anything consisting of the Capsicum plant or the fruit from the plant. (Referred to as “chilli” in Britain and Australia)
- Chili – a culinary dish consisting of chile powder, beans, tomato and ground beef.
- Capsicum – genus name for chiles.
- Capsaicin – one of the alkaloids in chile that makes it hot.
- Aji – South American term for chile.
- Chipotle – a smoke-dried red jalapeno.
See You Sunday for “Just the Tip”
Want to learn more about the science of chiles? Check out this article from Australian Geographic: Why Chillies are Hot?